2/6/2013 12:10:00 PM Editorial Working smoke detector likely saved boy's life
A 14-year-old boy is likely unharmed today because the mobile home in which he lived had a working smoke detector.
This past Wednesday, the boy told firefighters he was asleep when the smoke alarm woke him. He opened a door, saw smoke, grabbed his dog and exited through a window.
Central Yavapai Fire Marshal Rick Chase said the home was probably a total loss, and flames were clearly visible through the roof as firefighters arrived.
Mobile homes in particular burn very quickly if a fire starts, and it is imperative for safety that a working smoke alarm is installed. Even with warning, occupants have just minutes, if that, to escape.
We don't like to think about what could have happened had this sleeping child not been alerted to the fire on Wednesday.
Take time today to test your smoke detectors and replace batteries if needed. If you don't have one, install one or more, particularly outside each bedroom.
Central Yavapai Fire this past week, with the aid of a grant, installed more than 100 smoke detectors in homes in Prescott Valley and Dewey-Humboldt at no cost to home occupants. Chase said CYFD plans to continue to apply for the grants until all homes in the district have a working smoke detector.
If you need information or help installing a smoke detector, call the Central Yavapai Fire Dept. at 928-772-7711.
Don't wait until tragedy strikes before thinking about your smoke detectors. Things can be replaced, but lives cannot.