9/23/2013 8:17:00 AM House fire in Dewey result of candles
A working fire alarm prevented what could have been a devastating fire in Humboldt on Thursday.
Central Yavapai Fire District (CYFD) crews responded to the report of a possible structure fire in the 2800 block of South Rancho Place at approximately 11:30 a.m. According to CYFD Fire Marshal Rick Chase, the fire likely began from candles that had been placed on the bathtub.
"When crews got there they did not see any smoke showing," Chase said. "When they went interior, they found a fire in the bathroom, where a bathtub meets the wall."
Damages were estimated at around $1,500, Chase said.
There were three occupants in the home. The occupants were on the other side of the house when a smoke detector began to sound.
"They heard the smoke detector. The dad went toward the bedroom and saw smoke coming out of the bathroom and the bedroom. He went to the bathroom, tried to put water on the fire, which he said was crawling up the wall," Chase said.
Crews performed overhaul procedures to confirm the fire was completely out before allowing the residents back into the home, Chase said.
"They thought they were out," Chase said. "What it had done is it melted down into the fiberglass of the bathtub and started on fire. It also started to burn into the wall. When crews got there, it had just made its way under the bathtub and into the wall. They were able to tear into the wall a little bit."
Chase reminded residents to keep working smoke detectors in their homes at all times.