5/21/2013 7:42:00 AM Fire causes $20,000 in damage to Prescott Valley mobile home
Lisa Irish Special to the Tribune
Central Yavapai firefighters put out a fire at a Prescott Valley mobile home early Sunday that caused an estimated $20,000 in damage, Central Yavapai Fire District Fire Marshal Rick Chase said.
Shortly after 2 a.m., firefighters answered a call about a structure fire. When they arrived they found about 25 percent of the 1,200-square-foot mobile home on Parent Road near Tracy Drive on fire, Chase said.
"The fire started outside, burned up the porch, the side of the home and underneath," Chase said. "Firefighters quickly knocked down the fire."
Three occupants were home at the time the fire started, Chase said.
"The father woke up, smelled smoke, and searched the home," Chase said. "He was about to open the front door, when his wife saw fire out the front window and told him not to."
The woman got their daughter out of the home, while the man took the dog out, Chase said.
"The fire was determined to be caused by a cigarette in a bucket on the porch near a trash can," Chase said.
Chase reminded people to be careful when disposing of cigarette butts to make sure they are completely out, to put them in a metal container as you would with ashes and to make sure to put water on them to they are truly out.
Prescott Valley Police, volunteers with the Trauma Intervention Program and the American Red Cross responded to the call, Chase said.
Volunteers with the American Red Cross helped the family find a place to stay, because they couldn't stay in their damaged home, Chase said.